Saturday, May 25, 2013

Spring Time Preparations


 
I wanted to make a skirt, not to difficult, I had made one before, and I got inspired by this pattern - I wanted a full skirt.  So I found this lovely blue fabric (linen I think), but quickly realized how much six yards of fabric really is...
 
At the cutting counter:
 
Employee rolling out yard after yard of fabric:  "What are you making?"
 
Me: "A skirt"
 
Employee: *silence*
 
Most projects take longer than expected, and this is where my work slowed down, while trying to figure out if I should really try this pattern or not!  Am I really suppose to be able to wear six yards of fabric!? ;-)
 
I actually ended up using a pattern we already had - Simplicity pattern 2843.  I used the pieces for the petticoat, shortened it, and added an elastic waist band.  And I am quite pleased with how it turned out, with only half the amount of fabric I think it is just as full looking as the other pattern!
 
 
So along with preparing my wardrobe for spring, we have also started planting the garden.  Thus far we have only planted about half, as the weather continues to swing back and forth from hot to cold.  But when possible it has felt very good to work under the warm sunshine, sweet smelling flowers, and fresh breezes again! 
 
 
 



"Now the heart is so full that a drop overfills it,
We are happy now because God wills it:
No matter how barren the past may have been,
Tis enough for us now that the leaves are green:...
We may shut our eyes, but we cannot help knowing
That the skies are clear and grass is growing:..."
 
Excerpts from "June"
by James Russell Lowell
 


~Amber Swanson~

2 comments:

PlainJane said...

Very nice Dear! I'm so proud of all that you are doing...who would have ever guessed I'd have a daughter that could sew...even a little bit! And I'm so grateful for your willingness to help out around the house and with the garden. I know I wouldn't be able to do it all with you and your sister. All my LOVE ♥!

Kelly-Anne said...

Amber, this post was so beautiful! This morning my mother asked me to help her with some sewing for the girls... I never used to be big on sewing, but somehow I did learn! Now I love it - and gardening? One of my favourite ways to spend time is working in the veggie patch, planting and making it look lovely! Thank you for sharing<3

Many blessings,
Kelly-Anne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...